My cup runneth over: An editor’s farewell address

Janzen+poses+inside+the+Main+Theater.+

Janzen poses inside the Main Theater.

Nathan Janzen, Arts and Entertainment Editor

It now seems so long ago that I penned my first article for the Lumen, a Campus Life piece from Nov. 20, 2018, titled “International students feel Viterbo’s hospitality.” Since then, countless other articles and experiences have enriched my undergraduate career. Though the nature of higher education means that many people come and go, the impact of people on my life has never changed through the years. In this time and place, I would like to thank as many of them as I can. 

First, to the university’s staff: you are the bedrock that holds up Viterbo’s infrastructure. Thank you for your tireless work in everything that you do. Whether you replace a lightbulb, prepare meals, organize fun events, keep our halls clean, assign roommates, fix technology, patrol campus, sort mail, keep us informed, invite the next generation of students, or act in any other capacity, you come when the university calls and respond to its messages. Your work is seen, known and appreciated. 

To the university faculty: I would not be the man I am today without you. To the Music Department: thank you for showing me what it means to be a genuine musician and human being. To the Dahl School of Business faculty: you have enriched me with the fruits of your own talents and passions. To all the professors and instructors in between: I am grateful for being given a window into your worlds.  

Whether you taught me Chopin’s Prelude in E minor, Kant’s categorical imperative, the expected value of a probability scenario, proper APA paper margins, the sound of a major fifth, or the difference between a criminal and civil case, you have given me a piece of your best. Though I will always be learning, I am now more careful when choosing my words, sources and actions. Thank you for teaching me to play in the sandbox too. You have shown me what it means to pursue and express wonder. 

I will forever treasure our class time together—from the voice studio to the lecture hall, amidst a throng of voices or in the silence of contemplation. In the practice room, at a performance venue, at the feet of a customer buying shoes, by the chalkboard a room away, or in places across rolling seas, I will carry a piece of you with me.  

To my friends both graduated and enrolled, I am grateful for the light you have lent me. Thank you for showing me what it means to be a servant to others in Christ—for proving that “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity” (Proverbs 17:17, KJV). Whether we are to see each other tomorrow or never again, I want you all to know that every moment with you is a treasure in my heart. 

To the rest of the university community: thank you for making this incredible institution the place it is today. Your light glows in the late summer sun and stays to keep the rainy spring days bright. You are seen and loved by me and the God who made you in His image. 

Finally, I must express my gratitude to the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration—particularly Sr. Antona Schedlo, who introduced me to the spirit of these amazing women. Sr. Antona, I will never forget our conversation during my student orientation where you told me, “I will pray for you,” and then raised your hands to sing and bless me on my journey. That blessing, along with your prayers, has sustained me through seasons both dark and bright, reminding me that there is a God in Heaven who will always love me. 

Now, as I prepare to walk across the Fine Arts Center stage one last time, I hold your song close to my heart. God has answered its prayer and many more through you and this incredible university. I will take up the torch now as I go out into the world—to be a steward, act with integrity, contemplate, be a shelter for others, and be a servant above all.  

Pace y bene, Viterbo.