Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

A familiar campus in the foreign world of COVID-19

(Picture taken from Viterbo University Facebook Page)

March of 2020 will forever live in infamy to our generation. As thousands of students embarked on their spring break vacations, they all expected their time in the sun to last no more than a week. The Viterbo community was shocked as the single week off suddenly doubled. Shortly after, it tripled, only to be continued indefinitely. With barely any warning, a distant virus soon became a local pandemic, and our lives were changed forever.

As cases quickly spread across the country throughout the summer, many had doubts that they would be returning from their spring break in the fall. The horrors of never-ending online learning plagued students’ minds as August approached. However, the determination of the students and the faculty at Viterbo University proved stronger than any virus and, against all odds, the university announced they would be opening their doors for the first in-person classes since March.

While students were elated by the prospect of returning to La Crosse for class, they arrived with a cautious optimism, knowing that the world they would be reentering was one unlike they had ever seen. Large gatherings, such as live performances and club events, would be cancelled. Classes would be socially distanced and require students to wear masks. Above all, however, it would be infinitely harder to spend time with one another, since social distancing requirements and a strict no-guest policy on campus were implemented to keep everyone safe.

“Classes have been a comfortable shift, but hanging out has become a puzzle to complete,” said senior and Resident Assistant Jared Wilson. Wilson, a club organizer, gym-goer, and socialite grieved the loss of group activities, adding, “The thing I miss most about pre-pandemic schooling is the Caf. Dinners with whole hordes of friends was the best way to spend an evening.” Due to new pandemic guidelines, the on-campus cafeteria was required to switch to a to-go only service, meaning students are no longer able to gather at tables in large groups and eat at their own leisure. While they can eat outside, the fall weather is slowly making it more difficult to share a meal with friends.

Wilson, while sad about certain restrictions, sees the positive effects of his safe actions, claiming that even though the school year brought a “different atmosphere,” the limitations are important and, despite the challenges, “camaraderie has been as strong as always.” This new way of life has taught Wilson just how “malleable” our culture is. “It might not be comfortable to shift a lifestyle in weeks,” Wilson admitted, but he acknowledges that a large group of caring individuals are always up to the task. Because of responsible students like Wilson, Viterbo University now approaches the middle of its fall semester without students having to transition back to being online; a feat the university could not be prouder of.