Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

V-Hawk basketball teams celebrate successful seasons 

With spring drawing near, that means the seasons for winter sports are ending, thus the conclusion of the Viterbo men’s and women’s basketball teams. Both teams found success throughout their respective seasons. The women’s team finished its season with a win-loss record of 12-13 with a 6-6 conference record earning them a fourth-place finish in the North Star Athletic Association. Likewise, the men’s team finished its season with an overall record of 12-16 with a 6-6 conference finish, which put them in a four-way tie for third place. 

The men’s basketball season proved to be a long one, with Viterbo playing its first game on October 26, 2023, and its final game on February 21, 2024. In this nearly five-month span, the team had much success.  

Senior guard Cole Crubel believes that even through the adversity they faced, they still proved to be victorious stating, “I feel like the season had its ups and downs. It’s a challenge every week and every game to win. We played our best ball towards the end of the year finishing conference play on a 6-2 note, leading to 6-6 overall in conference.”  

The V-Hawks found their groove early and late in the season, beginning the year 5-2 while posting an impressive win against nationally ranked Dordt. Likewise, the season ended on a hot streak, going 6-2 in the final eight games and posted another huge win against the number one team in conference, at the time, Mayville State on senior night.  

Two individuals were also recognized to respective all-conference teams with senior forward Jack Monis being named to all-conference first team and senior guard Nick Malovrh earning all-conference honorable mention. 

The women’s basketball season was as long, with the V-Hawks playing their first game on October 27, 2023, and their last game on February 25, 2024. Coach Lionel Jones’ V-hawks excelled during the year in many ways such as completing season sweeps against conference foes Dickinson State and Bellevue. The V-Hawks also made the North Star Athletic Association final four, defeating Bellevue 72-63.  

Marley Hughes is a first-year guard on the team, and when asked about the success the team achieved this season she stated, “The season went really well. In terms of wins and losses, the numbers could have looked better on paper, but our team had more success this year than the program has had in the past few years. That shows the hard work and dedication of both the players and the coaches. We had multiple games in double digits for assists which shows our team is willing to share the ball and be selfless.”  

Along with the team improvements, two individuals received all conference honors, the first being junior forward Emily Mccurdy who earned all-conference second team along with junior guard Macy Stellner being named to the all-conference defensive team. 

Even though basketball is such a competitive sport throughout the year, it does not discourage the student-athletes from enjoying the moments and having fun amid what can be a rollercoaster ride. When asked what his favorite memory from the season was, Crubel stated, “It would have to be making the most out of our long road trips with the guys. That ten-hour bus trip to Dickinson feels a lot better after a win.”  

Like long bus rides with your team, huge in game moments can bond a team together as well. When also asked about her favorite memory of the season, Hughes stated, “My favorite memory was winning against Valley City in overtime at home. Our team fought hard for that game. I tied the game up with a three with a few second left and my teammate Emily Mccurdy came through and scored some key points to finish the game with a win.”  

With the long season over, the V-Hawks look to take a moment to reflect on what they have accomplished this year, and thank the seniors for all that they do, but in a short matter of time the off-season work begins to come back even better than what they achieved this year.