Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

Viterbo women’s volleyball advances to NAIA national tournament 

The Viterbo women’s volleyball team found success this 2023 season. The V-Hawks finished the regular season with a record of 30-4 while winning the NSAA Conference Tournament for the ninth year in a row while also being the regular season NSAA conference champions.  

Not only did the team succeed, but its players also excelled in many ways. Senior Kenzie Winker earned NSAA Player of the Year, which led to her also earning her fifth straight first team all-conference honor while sophomore Jada Mitchell earned her second straight NSAA Offensive Player of the Year along with being first team all-conference for her second year in a row.  Kenidi McCabe, Grace Rohde, and Martina McGrath also earned NSAA first team all-conference honors. Due to this overall success, the V-Hawks head coach Ryan Delong earned his third straight Coach of the Year honor and ninth of his career. 

Winning the NSAA conference tournament, granted the V-Hawks an automatic bid into the NAIA national tournament opening round making it their 14th appearance in program history and their 11th trip in the last 12 years.  

In their opening round, the V-Hawks hosted Bryan College of Tennessee. Bryan College came into the opening round with a record of 22-11 but was no match for Viterbo, getting swept 3-0. The V-Hawks became opening round champions, granting them their 10th straight trip to the National Tournament final site. 

The team will travel to the NAIA national tournament in Sioux City, Iowa, where they will begin pool play from November 29 to December 1 against number 12, Southern Oregon, and number 20, Columbia International University (SC), with hopes of advancing to the quarterfinal, which is the next step to a national championship and the ultimate goal for the V-Hawks.