Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

Senior Caitlin Hause tells students: Be authentic, be happy, find joy 

Caitlin+Hause
Caitlin Hause

Caitlin Hause, a senior majoring in biochemistry and minoring in health care management, has been a Resident Assistant, RA, on campus for several years, is vice-president of Tri-Beta, and is president of the Residence Halls Association and STEM Club. She also serves as a tutor for a biology class.  

Being so involved on campus was not something Hause did right away. She says, “Coming into college in the middle of a pandemic created the challenge of not feeling connected to others and not feeling connected to campus. Towards the end of my freshman year, I tried to think of ways that I could help myself build connections on campus. Getting involved with on-campus clubs and organizations came to mind. One of the first things that I looked at getting involved in was being an RA. It was scary for me to put in an application because I was so scared of being rejected.” 

Taking the first step can be the hardest, especially given the state of the world a few years ago. “When I first started school that August, I was a very quiet and shy human. Really, I did not step out of my comfort zone much, and I did not interact with many people. Being a part of so many communities, clubs, and organizations has pushed me to branch out and helped build my leadership skills,” Hause said.  

Efforts to forge connections are seldom without benefit. It not only helped Hause develop professional skills, but also helped her learn about the person she wants to be. “I try to be a person that celebrates other’s successes with them, and make sure they know how lovely they are. I also want to be the person that people feel they can go to when life gets hard. Without so many people on this campus that have influenced me to be a better person, to get involved, and to explore some super cool things, I would not be the person I am today,” Hause said.  

It was not only others pushing her that made Hause who she is today. “Coming to college made me realize that some of the coolest experiences come from pushing yourself a little, and doing the thing that might be a little scary at first,” says Hause. If she had never sent in that RA application, Hause would have missed out on three years in an important role helping others.  

By not taking a risk Hause would have also missed out on what she describes as, “One of the most meaningful experiences I have had at Viterbo,” when she received the Student Organization Member of the Year award last spring. The award is given to a student that has significantly advanced the student organization they are a part of. Hause says that receiving the award, “made me realize how much love I have for all the ways that Viterbo allows me to be involved with campus and its community. I truly feel like Viterbo is my home and it is a bit of a bittersweet feeling that I will be leaving soon.”  

The journey may have started with a personal goal of branching out, though as she progressed through college Hause gained a new understanding. “We all need that little reminder that we’re serving other people every now and again. Make sure to tell the people that push you to be a better person how much they mean to you. Each person I have interacted with has taught me something new, and I am so incredible grateful for that,” Hause says. Her biggest piece of advice is, “to put yourself out there and be authentic, do what makes you happy, and find joy in the little things you do.” After college Hause plans to pursue either genetic counseling or anesthesiology depending on what school she gets into.