Men’s basketball team wraps up historic season


Grace Monk, Sports Editor

On Friday Feb. 15, the men’s basketball team won their first ever share of the North Star Athletic Association crown against Waldorf University. The team beat Waldorf 97-66 but would face them again in a head-to-head conference the following week. 

On Wednesday Feb.  23, the V-Hawks faced Waldorf at the NSAA quarter final game. Winning this game would give Viterbo the No. 1 seed, advancing them to finals. The game began with Waldorf getting an early 12-6 lead on Viterbo. The V-hawks came back quickly with a three-pointer from Robert Cunitz and back-to-back threes from Nolan Martin. The first half ended with the Viterbo trailing 29-33. 

The V-hawks fought back with four consecutive points from Martin, followed by five consecutive points from Jack Monis after halftime.  The game came down to the last second with Brady Polk hitting two free throws putting the V-Hawks up by two. The V-Hawks won 74-72, taking the No.1 seed. The team advanced to the NSAA Final Four in Watertown, South Dakota, where they would play Dakota State. 

On Saturday Feb. 26, Viterbo arrived in Watertown to play Dakota State. Starting strong, the V-Hawks scored a 5-0 lead.  The lead was secured by a three-pointer from Nicholas Malovrh and a two-point field goal from Martin. Dakota State fought back and regained the lead within the first eight minutes. The game went back and forth with Dakota State holding strong. The first half ended with Viterbo down 12 points and a score of 39-51. 

Viterbo came back fighting for the lead. With five minutes left in the game, Malovrh converted a pair of field goals cutting the lead. Securing the lead, Noah Fredrickson sank a three to put the V-Hawks within one point. Shortly after Fredrickson sank another three to tie the game at 72. Fredrickson secured with win at the free throw line with a final score of 75-73. The V-Hawks advanced on to play Bellevue at 4:00 p.m. the following day. 

Viterbo played its final game against Bellevue University on Sunday, Feb. 27. Determined to win again, the V-hawks gained the first lead with a three-pointer from Martin. Bellevue quickly took the lead with two consecutive field goals. Viterbo fought back with a bucket from Malovrh pulling within two points. Despite their efforts, the first half ended with V-Hawks down 22-30.  

Bellevue picked up the half with an 11-point lead. The V-Hawks worked to chip away at the lead and eventually tied the game at 42 after a pair of free throws from Brady Polk. The V-Hawks attempted to gain the lead but were down four in the last minute. Polk attempted and converted three free-throws bringing Viterbo within one point. Bellevue got the ball back and finished the game with a four-point lead. With a final score of 65-69, the V-Hawk’s season ended.   

The men’s basketball team had a historic season with their first ever NSAA regular season-title, finishing 17-13 on the season, and 9-5 in NSAA play. Congratulations to the team and all their hard work.