Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

V-Hawks put on a good show at track and field conference

The Track and Field Conference Championships saw Viterbo’s men and women’s teams each take third in what was a complete shock to the whole conference. The V-Hawks ended with 98 points on the women’s side, and 55 points on the men’s side. They left the conference championships with four conference champions and 15 athletes named to the allconference list. On this day alone, there were seven program records broken and one Track Athlete of the Meet title awarded to the women’s team 

The V-Hawks started strong with Ruth Konzen placing fourth in the women’s high jump. In the Women’s Long Jump, V-Hawks, Grace Peyron and Breanna Ihde, pulled of strong performances to take fourth and fifth place, respectively. In pole vault, it was a successful day for the women’s team; with four V-Hawks posting their personal best of 3.27 meters to take second-fifth which gave them a boost. The women’s weight throw saw V-Hawks, Madalyn Pinnow and Rebbeca Warren, take fifth and sixth, with Warren posting a personal best at this meet. In women’s triple jump, first-year student, Alexie Stephani, finished third with a jump of 10.22 meters.  

As for the men’s team, Greg Jenkins came out with an impressive performance in long jump, with a personal best of 6.70 meters, which resulted in a fifth-place finish. In the triple jump, the men’s team another first-year student, Kristt Hilden, and Jenkins put up points; Hilden finished sixth and Jenkins took third. Jenkins had a busy day after he later put-up points in the men’s high jumpfinishing second. Jacob Buckingham surprised everyone in the conference by posting his season best in the pole vault at 3.30 meters for a fifthplace finish. 

On the track, the women’s 5000 meter saw three V-Hawks take fourth-sixth place. The women’s 4xtook second place to add to the women’s score. In the sprints, we saw Ashley Caswell dominatetaking home the title in the 60 meter and in the 200-meter dash; Caswell also took third in the 400-meter dash. Teammate Ihde finished sixth in the 60-meter dash posting her season best of 8.09s. In the mileVanessa Thomas posted her personal best 5:37.87 for a third-place finish. Additionally, the women’s 4×4 was able to take home second place. 

Finishing with the men, Isaiah Sample dominated the field in the 5000 and 3000 meter, breaking the school record in both events and finishing over 25 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher. In the 60-meter dash, Maurice Savage took third place. Jalen Anderson also had a busy day as he took third place in the 60 hurdles and snuck in for fifth in the 200 meter and anchored the 4×4 team to a fifth-place finish. 

Donate to Lumen

Your donation will support the student journalists of Viterbo University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.