Viterbo welcomes new track and field coach, Kody Micheals

Grace Monk, Sports Editor

This fall, Viterbo University welcomed a new track and field coach, Kody Michaels. Although it is Michaels’ first year at Viterbo, it isn’t his first in La Crosse. Michaels grew up in La Crosse and attended Central High School. “When the opportunity presented itself to come coach in the heart of this city, in addition to such a great university, I was extremely excited,” Michaels shared.  

After graduating from Central, Michaels decided to attend the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse to further his education. Although La Crosse held a special place in his heart, he felt UW-L was not a great fit and decided to finish his degree at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota. After graduating with his bachelor’s in 2018, he began coaching track full time at Saint Mary’s. In his time there, he coached two All-American athletes, 14 national qualifiers, 10 conference champions, and broke 13 new school records.  

Michaels is no stranger to the world of track and field. He began running track and playing football at the age of seven and continued on into college. Athletics have been a staple in his life and made an impact on the person he is today.  

“They have helped shape my personality, my work ethic, and helped me build lifelong friendships that I wouldn’t trade for anything,” said Michaels. Not only have the sports themselves impacted his life, but the coaches he had throughout his time as an athlete did, too. “I was extremely blessed to have an amazing group of high school coaches who have had a serious impact on how I coach today.”  

More specifically, his former coach and current mentor Niels Anderson.  He was coached by Anderson both in high school and college and worked as his assistant coach for two years after that. He inspired Michaels to start a career in coaching and he “hopes to instill the same type of values and beliefs that he and continues to teach me even to this day in my current and future athletes.”  

Michaels has only been at Viterbo for a few weeks, but he has high hopes for his time here. He has been enjoying his time on campus and getting to know everybody. “It doesn’t feel like a job most days, but more of a privilege to be in this position. I have an amazing group of athletes and peers around me that create a culture so positive it’s contagious!” 

Michaels is excited to be here and is even more excited for this upcoming season.  He feels that he has an extremely talented group of young athletes and believes they have a chance to achieve some incredible goals this year. The team has been working tirelessly, and Michaels can’t wait to showcase what the talent they have.  Michaels is thrilled to be here and can’t wait to show everyone what he will bring to track and field.