Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

Viterbo changes COVID-19 policy  

Campus+Exterior
Noah Nelson
Campus Exterior

Viterbo University releases its updated COVID-19 policy on Sept. 20, 2023, which contained several new guidelines for students. There have been numerous clarifications in language and other changes. 

Previously, Viterbo students could receive COVID-19 vaccinations through Health Services on campus, but this option is no longer available. In the new COVID-19 policy document, the university makes it clear that this change is out of their control: “Vaccines are no longer available through Health Services due to changes in the federal vaccine distribution system.” Health Services will also no longer be able to test for COVID-19; they advise students to purchase at-home testing kits or travel to a testing location instead.  

Despite no longer offering vaccinations on campus, Viterbo remains committed to ensuring the well-being of all students. The updated policy states, “As students and community members consider whether vaccination is the right choice for them, the Campus Health Advisory Committee encourages everyone to consider vaccination to help reduce symptom severity, reduce the threat of hospitalization, or death.”  

Marci Iverson, Assistant Dean of Student Wellbeing, understands this inconvenience and wants to make student’s lives as easy as possible: “As we’ve moved from an active pandemic phase to a post pandemic era, the vaccinations are now looking to go to local providers.” She went on to recommend, “The clinics, the hospitals, the Walgreens.” 

Since the university is no longer testing, it does not support putting other students at risk, “If you are sick, we do encourage folks to stay home,” Iverson said. She elaborated, “Communicate with [your professors] right away.” For any student needing immediate care, they can schedule appointments through Health Services on Starfish.  Iverson stated, “While they will take walk-ins, appointments are strongly encouraged.” Health Services is located in Murphy Center 374.