Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

SGA’s presidential holiday roundup

SGA’s presidential holiday roundup

We have finally reached the dramatic conclusion of our first ever fall semester in a pandemic. The Viterbo community displayed its strength and courage yet again as it braved the ebbs and flows of society, quickly adjusting to new normals while remaining safe under a sea of health regulations. After an exhausting four months, we look forward to the time we will get to spend either with family, friends, or our thoughts, whether we be earning more money with our temporary free time or soaking up some well-deserved rest. To aid in our mental recovery, I offer you all a gift; a present we all rely on to ease the sorrows and restore our sanity: government updates from an elected official. 

Jokes aside, the Student Government Association is proud of the work it has done this semester and is looking forward to the spring. We are all anticipating a rapidly changing landscape as we saw during the fall and are constantly adjusting our goals based upon what we can feasibly accomplish under strict guidelines. Basically, as we aim for more ways to unite our community and improve our sense of togetherness, we strive for innovative ways to do so in a COVID-friendly way. 

One project we are working on completing in the spring is the implementation of hammock poles in the Marian Courtyard. You may have already been privy to this initiative, but I felt it beneficial to relay the current state of the project. A local metal manufacturer is currently creating them based on a blueprint we received from Iowa State University, who we were very fortunate to collaborate with. Our early estimates predict that the poles will be completed around the time the ground starts to thaw. The metal manufacturer is apparently working through a large supply of tasks and has deemed ours worthy of shelving for the time being, since we will not be able to use them for a while anyway. While it would be satisfying to have our shiny new poles in our hands already, the wait will be worth it. 

To help boost student morale, the SGA hopes to do some exciting giveaways in the spring semester. We are experimenting with different useful products we can hand out to our peers, such as scarves during the coldest months of the year. We also hope to set up hot chocolate booths throughout the chilly winter months to help our Viterbo community stay warm. We discussed beginning these giveaways in December, but we felt it best to wait until everyone had returned in January. 

We are constantly listening to the messages you give us and always encourage you to speak your mind. We have been investigating the ability to install a television in The Port and have heard the numerous concerns students have with our food services. Please watch your emails, as we hope to soon send out a link where students can voice their unique opinions about our dining services. 

Please remember to take advantage of My SSP, our new telehealth service that offers 24/7 counseling to Viterbo students. The service will remain in service throughout the rest of the academic year, which means you can always utilize it during breaks. This can be accessed by calling 1-866-743-7732, downloading their free app on your smartphone, or visiting the Viterbo University Counseling Services website. 

Thank you for an incredible semester. I have learned a lot by witnessing the bravery and respect our students have exuded throughout his difficult semester. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at tkrob67189@viterbo.edu. Happy Holidays!