Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

V-Hawk basketball teams celebrate successful seasons 
Jackson Schuh, Sports Editor • March 7, 2024
Engineering capstone projects proving valuable for students and community 
Noah Nelson, Editor • March 7, 2024
The Importance of Visual Arts at Viterbo
Gretchen Cortez, Arts and Entertainment Editor • March 7, 2024

A half-time show, student athletics, and full-time fun: A student’s perspective

“Both squads do a do-si-do.” Photo courtesy Matt Riebe, Athletics Communications and Events.

During the half time portion of the Viterbo University men’s basketball game versus Presentation College on Feb. 15, fans of both teams were treated to a special performance by the Viterbo baseball and dance teams. This fun and energetic collaboration consisted of a dance routine that gave members of both squads a chance to show off their moves. Flips, spins, lifts, jump squats brought smiles to the faces of players and spectators alike as tunes including the ever-famous dance hit “Macarena” by Los del Río brought new life to the Mathy Center court.

Modern hip-hop choreography and old-fashioned partner dancing were blended with athletics in intense group moves displaying flexibility and cardiovascular endurance, the highlight being pantomimed home-run hits by the dance team pitched by the baseball players.

“Baseball and dance team members strike a pose during their big performance.” Photo courtesy Matt Riebe, Athletics Communications and Events.

As the men’s baseball team headed out to Jacksonville, Flo., for their annual Southern series, the Lumen got an opportunity to reflect on the performance with first base player, Ryan Berger. In addition, the Viterbo sophomore shared what being a student athlete has meant to him over the past two years.

When asked about how the opportunity came about, Berger reflected via written statement, “Coach Lewis mentioned it at practice one day, and we were happy to volunteer.” At the outset, the first base player recalls, “I personally was a little nervous because I never have danced before, let alone in front of a bunch of people. Most of the guys were excited to do it; we were just trying to not embarrass ourselves out there.”

Despite this trepidation, the final result of the collaboration was fun for all. “The whole experience was a lot of fun,” Berger wrote, adding that “The performance nights were our favorite parts…[the collaboration] gave us the opportunity to meet some other athletes on campus that we might not have interacted with before. We think that this was definitely a positive experience for everyone involved.”

When asked if more such performances could be in store, Berger noted, “I think the guys would definitely want to do this again in the future. Hopefully next year we can improve on our dance moves.”

With this performance being one small piece of his life as a student-athlete, Berger was asked what impact his sport has had on his collegiate experience. He reflected, “I think that my participation (in athletics) has definitely improved my college life. I’ve had the opportunity to meet many new people from all walks of life, and it’s fun to see how close the team becomes. Even after the baseball aspect is over, I know that I will have many life-long friends that I can turn to in the future.”

Adding to Berger’s insights, this half-time performance has served as another example of how athletics can bring people together, players and fans alike. The packed bleachers on Saturday night were a testament to the spirit of pride that lives inside Viterbo alumni and current students. The passion and commitment of athletics bear rewards that can be reaped on and off the field: V-Hawk communities that will last for years to come.