Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

Safe Trick-Or-Treat battles weather, event still successful 

Ed+Club+students+in+their+costumes+
Ellen Graham
Ed Club students in their costumes

The Education Club put on its annual Safe Trick-or-Treat event for local children recently. The weather was colder than they would have hoped, but the kids still had fun, and the club was able to operate smoothly.  

The event was held Oct. 28, 2023, in the Assisi Courtyard, and organizers invited any La Crosse area children interested in trick-or-treating. The Education Club made strong efforts to promote the event within the city. The club’s co-president Ellen Graham helped lead that effort.  She states, “We sent emails to every school in [La Crosse School] District, YMCA, BGC and everyone was welcome.” 

Graham is co-president of the Education Club with Maddie Schwartz and is a senior elementary education major with a minor in psychology. Graham states, “Maddie Schwartz and I are co-presidents and Lindsay Koza is like our ‘president in training’ for next year.” Having this established hierarchy creates an environment where everyone helps where they can. 

She emphasizes that the roles are more integrated than separate: “We just do a lot of planning together. It’s not necessarily divided roles and we all try to work together.” There has been a major reshaping in club operations following the COVID-19 pandemic. Graham, although it is her final year at Viterbo, shows great initiative in changing the club’s culture, saying, ““We’re as a club excited to grow.” 

The club members arrived at 9:00 a.m. to set up for the trick-or-treaters at 11:00 a.m. The event started at 1:001 a.m. and was scheduled until 2:00 p.m.; however, it ended slightly early because of the weather. It began snowing in Assisi Courtyard for the first time this fall, so the club brought their supplies inside. That did not prevent it from being successful, though. Graham says, “It was cold. There weren’t as many kids as we expected towards the end but there were tons in the beginning.” 

There were crafts and games at the event, and it was much more in-depth than just trick-or-treat stations. Graham highlights, “We had professors that were doing our craft table, there was a skeleton craft… a spider craft, too.” In addition to the crafts, there was music, food, and other fun activities for children and adults alike.  

Graham rated the event experience as an eight out of ten, saying, “I feel like the cold had an impact on that. How it’s been in past years where it’s sunny and 50, kids are so excited.” She quickly clarifies, “Well, kids are still excited anyway.” 

Having a space for kids to go and have fun in a positive environment is what safe trick-or-treat is built for. There was a definite struggle against the seasons this year when compared to past years, but the kids will value an event like this if it’s clear the event organizers care. And they do care.  

The Education Club has more events upcoming this spring, and they were the top team in La Crosse last year at the Polar Plunge. For Education Club members, there’s Lunch and Learn presentations where speakers come to share experiences with club members.