“Movin’ to Musicals”: Platinum and Diamond Edition fill the FAC once again

Nathan Janzen, Arts and Entertainment Editor

On Oct. 29, the Fine Arts Center’s Main Theatre was filled with students and community members for Platinum and Diamond Edition’s latest fall performance, “Movin’ to Musicals.” The night featured a medley of hits from Broadway’s Golden Age and the modern era, as well as performances by campus and community organizations. 

The show was opened by Anika Phillips, who performed “I Know Where I’ve Been” from “Hairspray.” Phillips was followed up by Shea Grande’s rendition of “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from “Funny Girl.” Later solo numbers on the program featured Katie Wall, Josey Terry and Madelyn Ballard, who performed “It’s Too Late,” “I Feel the Earth Move,” and “A Natural Woman,” respectively—all from “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.” An interesting note: Viterbo alum Arbender Robinson starred as a member of The Drifters in the original cast of “Beautiful.” 

In addition to soloists, Platinum members were given a chance to shine in smaller group numbers that enriched the vocal tapestry of the evening. A large portion of these came from the musical “Jersey Boys”; the medley featured various groups of tenors, baritones, and basses performing hits from Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. These numbers were “Who Loves You,” “Working My Way Back to You,” “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You,” and “Sherry.” 

Larger group numbers featured works from “Greece,” “Six,” “Legally Blonde,” “Sweet Charity,” and “Les Miserables.” Featured songs included “Summer Nights,” “Ex-Wives,” “Positive,” “Big Spender,” and “One Day More,” respectively.  All of these numbers, as well as the soloists, received thunderous applause for their unique contributions to the program. 

Rather than being combined with Platinum for the concert’s entirety, Diamond Edition was given its own spotlight. Its standalone numbers were “Sparkling Diamonds” from “Moulin Rouge,” “I See Stars” from “Mean Girls,” “Astonishing” from “Little Women,” and “Forget About the Boy” from “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” The latter three songs included solos by Makayla Taylor, Anna Vande Krol, Victoria and Pardon, respectively. 

Even more musical numbers were packed into the night’s performances. Selections from outside of the show choirs’ ranks included Ninth Street Singers performing Deke Sharon’s arrangement of “If I Loved You” from “Carousel” and the cast of Sparta High School’s “The Addams Family” in “When You’re an Addams.” Both groups were greeted with enthusiastic cheers as they exited the stage. All in all, the show choirs and their guests once again demonstrated their knack for quality music and dance entertainment.