New faculty join the Conservatory for the Performing Arts

Grace Reynolds, Campus Life Editor

As Viterbo’s theatre, music theatre, and music programs have begun their transition to the Conservatory for the Performing Arts, they have seen an increase in student population growth. More students require more faculty, so there are nine new people to welcome into the department for fall 2021. Emily Craver, who teaches Ballet I & II and Tap I, II, & III, is additionally choreographing the mainstage musical, “The Pajama Game.” One of the parts she has enjoyed most about Viterbo is the energy in the dance studio. Directing “The Pajama Game” is Alex Mallory, visiting assistant professor. She is teaching Text Analysis; History and Literature; and Acting; and is additionally directing “Elephant Speaks Jazz” this spring. She loves the WNBA, and her favorite team is the Chicago Sky.  

April Jones, adjunct professor, lives in Buffalo, N.Y., and is teaching History and Literature III via Zoom this year. While she has not yet experienced Viterbo on-campus, she states enjoys the students she has in class. At one time, she wanted to be a dentist.  

For the first time, the conservatory has an intimacy director in residence. Hannah Fernandes, adjunct professor, teaches Acting Fundamentals and is intimacy directing productions this fall and spring. She grew up in La Crosse, and while her mother taught art at Viterbo for 12 years, she spent plenty of time in the Fine Arts Center, and is so glad to be back.  

Another returning face is Alex Bell, who is stepping into the role of Costume Shop Supervisor and adjunct professor. Bell is a 2020 alumna and is helping to teach both practicum and costuming this semester. She says it is wonderful to work with former professors who are now coworkers.  

A few new voice faculty members have also begun at Viterbo this fall. Jill Phillips, adjunct voice professor, teaches lessons for acting and musical theatre students. She is enjoying working with her students, and a fun fact about her is that she grew up on a farm in Iowa and has experience doing all sorts of farm chores. Another new member of the voice faculty is Dr. Amanda Lauricella, who is teaching voice lessons as an adjunct professor. Her favorite part of Viterbo so far is the students, and she loves to “bird-notice,” which is similar to bird watching but less intense.  

All these new professionals will help Viterbo’s Conservatory for the Performing Arts better teach its fast growing student population.