Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

V-Hawk basketball teams celebrate successful seasons 
Jackson Schuh, Sports Editor • March 7, 2024
Engineering capstone projects proving valuable for students and community 
Noah Nelson, Editor • March 7, 2024
The Importance of Visual Arts at Viterbo
Gretchen Cortez, Arts and Entertainment Editor • March 7, 2024

The V-Hawk and the vaccine: A student nurse reports

Dylan Bauman, a senior nursing student at Viterbo, has been close to the center of the university’s vaccination efforts since they began in JanuaryThe soon-to-be nurse, who says he has personally given over two thirds of the university’s vaccines, is the self-acclaimed “righthand man” to Sue Danielson in Health Services. On March 7, he sat down with the Lumen to talk about the vaccine itself, what progress has been made in the vaccination process so far, and how the experience has impacted him as a student and future healthcare professional.  

“We got our first shipment of the Pfizer vaccine about…two months ago,” Bauman details. “I would say we get a shipment almost every other week. We have been steadily getting through…Tier 1A, [and in March we are] moving on to Tier 1B. The past two weeks, we have started to vaccinate some student teachers, some of our Board of Trustees, and other students in more hands-on situations…other than just nursing students.” 

About his experience as a member of the vaccination team, he says, “It’s extremely surreal; I’m thankful to be a part of it—a part of history.” He finds the joy in his patients’ eyes rewarding, fulfilled by the knowledge that “Whatever I’m doing is helping the next person be safe and get back to ‘normal’.” 

As a student, as well as a future healthcare professional, Bauman is aware and understanding of the uncertainty that some of his peers might have about the vaccine and symptoms they might experience after being treated. “The first thing tested in clinical trials is safety,” he reassures. “I myself would not be taking it if I did not believe it was safe.”  

He notes that his symptoms after the first dose were soreness around the injection site and some fatigue for about twelve hours after administration. The second dose, which is more infamous for its symptoms, has been hallmarked by low-grade fever, fatigue, and nausea, but Bauman stresses that these symptoms are natural. “If you’ve had COVID-19 before, you might have a little bit more of an immune response, and that’s because your body has seen that spike protein before. The immune response is totally normal…it’s showing that your body is creating that barrier of defense to fight the real fight against COVID.” 

On what to do after getting the second dose, Bauman recommends that “hydration is going to be the best thing…take ibuprofen or Tylenol for symptoms afterward.”  

As the university enters its third month of administering vaccines to the campus community, it is clear from Bauman’s situational awareness that the V-Hawk flock is in good hands with the Health Services team and its well-educated, informative student nurses. 

Donate to Lumen

Your donation will support the student journalists of Viterbo University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.