Lumen

The Student News Site of Viterbo University

Lumen

Lumen

The Badlands
You have the choice to see it differently and to create a perception of your choosing
Carter, Assistant Editor • April 25, 2024
Godspell Rehearsals
Viterbo to present “Godspell” starring Jesus as popstar
Braydon Schoeffling, Freelance Writer • April 25, 2024
Teaching the Holocaust Workshop brings 24th Holocaust survivor
Noah Nelson, Editor • April 25, 2024

Let’s have a conversation about microaggressions

Image courtesy of Pixabay.com

Since the recent, unmistakable, cowardly acts of racism and hate exercised on campus, our Viterbo community is pressing hard to rebuild a campus atmosphere which is safe and inviting for all. One goal of this imperative movement is to educate students and faculty on the presence of microaggressions in our day-to-day lives. Therefore, let us engage in a conversation to grow smarter and take a big step together toward improving campus culture. 

Given their subtlety, microaggressions are often silent attacks which can slip past privileged ears to then harm their recipient(s). Often times there is no ill intent behind these comments, compliments, jokes, etc. but unmistakable harm is done to the students of marginalized communities who are expected to then brush it off. Therefore, it is mandatory that we as a campus community educate ourselves on what microaggressions are, recognize their presence in our lives, the harm they do to others, and know how we can correct ourselves and our fellow community members through meaningful conversation. 

FIRST THINGS FIRST, WHAT ARE MICROAGGRESSIONS? 

In a lecture, you witness a female classmate share a thought on the classroom discussion but is cut off or talked over by a male peer. Walking to class, you witness your non-binary friend receiving glares and smirks by those who pass because of what they are wearing. In the courtyard, you witness a white student clutch their backpack as a black man crosses behind where they are seated. These are all undeniable examples of microaggressions happening on campus every day. 

In an article by the NY Times, microaggressions are defined as “everyday slights, indignities, put-downs and insults that members of marginalized groups experience in their day-to-day interactions with individuals who are often unaware that they have engaged in an offensive or demeaning way.” As mentioned before, these spoken words or thoughts do not come necessarily from hatred or racism, but from an implicit bias or genuine ignorance. The person(s) exhibiting microaggressions may not even know they are doing it or that what they are saying is unacceptable, resulting in irreparable damage done to the recipient.  

MICROAGGRESSIONS ARE HARMFUL, AND HERE’S WHY 

Coming from a privileged background, as I identify as a cisgender straight white male, it can be so easy to dismiss microaggressions as harmless jokes, intended compliments, or observations. However, there is real harm that results from enabling this behavior. Conversations about diversity and experiences are important and welcomed, if mutual. However, highlighting someone’s differences for a joke, inappropriate small talk, or in flirtation is unacceptable and damaging. Therefore, if I, a member of the problem demographic of straight cisgender white guys, can learn how to identify and correct this harmful behavior, I guarantee you can, too. 

According to a Vox article, “microaggressions, although they’re seemingly small and sometimes innocent offenses, can take a real psychological toll on the mental health of their recipients. This toll can lead to anger and depression and can even lower work productivity and problem-solving abilities.” College is hard enough when it comes to staying on top of assignments, maintaining good attendance, earning much needed income, and still getting enough sleep. By enabling microaggressions to remain part of our campus culture, we continue to ostracize those who feel othered and divert further from the goal of establishing a community of love and acceptance. 

HOW WE CAN CORRECT OURSELVES & OTHERS 

In eliminating microaggressions from our campus culture, tough conversations must be had. These conversations should happen casually in class and with unaware aggressors. It is important, as I have learned in my own conversations with faculty and my peers, to go beyond just using labels like microaggressions. As previously stated, these aggressors are likely living in blissful ignorance. Therefore, throwing out a label like “microaggression” when addressing their language may not prove productive. We must present our concerns in a way that results in a learning experience. 

Furthermore, we have to lead these conversations prepared. In an article written for NPR, the importance of doing your homework is stated and restated. A few examples given are reading up on the history of marginalized groups, blog posts, personal essays, and viewing documentaries. The article also says it’s important to “set realistic expectations of what you want from these conversations. Also think about, is this actually helping? Is this a conversation that I view as being helpful in any way, shape or form?” 

Activism takes time and hard work. As nice as it would be, we cannot put a timeframe on when we can guarantee our campus will feel like home again, especially for marginalized students. Small acts like student demonstrations, conversations of social justice, and informative articles will not cure our campus overnight, yet they stand as stepping-stones on our path toward a campus free of racism and hate. We have to keep conversations alive and tackle issues, starting with microaggressions, one at a time until Viterbo is once again an institution we can be proud to call home. 

Donate to Lumen

Your donation will support the student journalists of Viterbo University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.